2014 Media Policies & Registration
The 2014 Annual Meeting and OTO EXPOSM will be held in Orlando, Florida, September 21-24. The AAO-HNSF Annual Meeting Media Policy provides journalists and public relations representatives with rules for covering the Scientific Program. Questions about these policies may be directed to Senior Manager, Media and Public Relations Lindsey Walter.
General Embargo Information
The 2014 Official Program Abstracts are published in advance of the Annual Meeting & OTO EXPOSM as a supplement to the September 2014 issue of Otolaryngology—Head and Neck Surgery. The program abstracts are distributed in print to all journal subscribers and also published online at www.otojournal.org.
Only abstracts are available in advance of the meeting. Presentation content and author interviews are embargoed until the date and time of presentation at the Annual Meeting & OTO EXPOSM. Full text articles for Scientific Oral and Poster Presentations are published after the meeting in subsequent issues of Otolaryngology—Head and Neck Surgery.
Interested news media may request author interviews in advance of and during the meeting by contacting email@example.com. In-depth content and quotes collected from author interviews are embargoed until the time and date of presentation at the meeting. News media are responsible for verifying those times and publishing appropriately.
Communicating about the Annual Meeting by way of social media is encouraged within embargo restrictions. The Twitter hashtag for the 2014 Annual Meeting & OTO EXPO is #OtoMtg14. Follow @AAOHNS for meeting updates.
For Onsite News Media: Members of the media who are employed by accredited news organizations attending the Annual Meeting & OTO EXPO for the purpose of developing editorial news coverage are eligible for free press registration. To register, members of the media must submit media identification such as a formal press badge from their organization or an official business card, along with an example of their work, preferably with a byline.
Members of the media planning to be onsite are strongly encouraged to pre-register online.
Press badges will be available for pick up at Registration. Registrants must pick up their own badges. Those who have not pre-registered online may register in person at the newsrooms onsite.
For Remote News Media: Members of the media who are employed by accredited news organizations and are planning to develop editorial news coverage of the Annual Meeting & OTO EXPO off-site should contact firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to the AAO-HNSF media distribution list and cleared in advance for author interview requests. Media identification and an example of published work will be required.
Press Registration is NOT Extended to:
• Exhibitor personnel, including advertising, marketing or public relations representatives
• Organizations producing continuing education resources
Guidelines for Press
• All press must agree to honor and observe the Annual Meeting embargo policy.
• Press registrants may attend Miniseminars, Oral Presentations and Poster Presentations as observers, not participants. Interaction with presenters and/or other attendees is permitted before and after the session. Press registrants may not attend Instruction Courses, which are ticketed hands-on learning sessions for physicians.
• Press registrants are required to wear their media credentials at all times while onsite.
• With prior presenter permission, press registrants may take photos and record audio at a session.
• Camera crew members onsite to film b-roll or interviews must also obtain a press badge, and must be escorted by an Academy staff member.
• Press registrants will be permitted to photograph and/or record video of the general Exhibit Hall, but must be escorting by an Academy staff member, and must obtain prior permission from exhibiting companies before taking photos or video of (or within) individual booths.
• Press should remember that information presented at the Annual Meeting is the responsibility of the presenting authors and should not be reported as representative of the views, policies or positions of the AAO-HNS/F.
Journalists who fail to comply with these guidelines will forfeit their press access to this Annual Meeting and possibly future AAO-HNSF meetings. The Academy reserves the right to deny or terminate press privileges to credentialed media or public relations staff at any time prior to or during the meeting.
Industry & Public Relations Representatives
Industry and public relations representatives of exhibiting companies, vendors, and pharmaceutical organizations are not allowed in the newsroom and are not eligible for press registration.
Access to Press Registration List
The AAO-HNSF will release its press registration list to registered exhibitors only. The list will be available by request starting September 1. Distribution lists of AAO-HNSF press materials will not be released.
Hosting of Onsite Media Event
No outside organizations may host press conferences onsite or in relation to the Annual Meeting & OTO EXPO. If an exhibitor has a request to film in the Exhibit Hall for their future promotional purposes, the camera must remain focused on the individual exhibitor’s booth and products. An Academy staff member must be present at the time of filming; contact email@example.com to make arrangements.
Industry Press Releases
A table outside of the newsroom will be made available for press kits from registered exhibitors.
The Annual Meeting newsroom is the official site for disseminating news about the meeting and is intended for use by press registrants who are credentialed members of the media. Registered press can use this location to arrange interviews, prepare copy, make telephone calls, and check email between sessions. Computers, internet access, and telephones are provided. AAO-HNS news releases, event notices, and other information about otolaryngology are available in the newsroom. It is managed and staffed by the AAO-HNS Communications Unit.
Hours of Operation:
Sunday, September 21, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm
Monday, September 22, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm
Tuesday, September 23, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm
Wednesday, September 24, 8:00 am to 12:00 pm
Please contact the media relations staff with any questions:
Lindsey Walter, Senior Manager, Media and Public Relations
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Phone: 1-703-535-3762